Three stages in the life of a Tasty Muffin:
Naturally you understand the progression for an Untasty Muffin would be radically different, and rather more drawn out. In extreme cases, it may even involve mould (though in truth I have never been known to let any muffin, tasty or otherwise, go uneaten long enough to grow mould).
110g or 1 cup white self-raising flour
60g or 1/2 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
100g or 1/2 cup sugar (I used a mixture of brown and white)
50g or 1/4 cup margarine
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 small apples, finely sliced
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
For the topping:
30g sugar (about 1/8 cup)
25g / 1/4 cup nuts chopped (I used walnuts but I think pecans may be nicer here)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp oil
Makes about 12.
1. Preheat your oven to 180 C / 350 F. Line a muffin tin with muffin cases.
2. Mix all the topping ingredients together in a bowl, ensuring they are fully combined.
3. In another bowl, mix all the dry ingredients for the muffin mixture (flours, sugar, cinnamon and salt).
4. Next add all the wet ingredients (egg, milk, margarine) and stir to combine.
5. Fold the apples into the mixture.
6. Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases and sprinkle some topping over each muffin.
7. Bake for between 20 and 25 minutes, and allow to cool before removing them from the tins.